"San Jose airport director gets stylish sendoff"

Friday, April 28, 2017

San Jose airport director gets stylish sendoff

By Sal Pizarro

The San Jose (CA) Mercury News

Former San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed, left, and Mayor Sam Liccardo, right, spoke in praise of Kim Becker, center, at a farewell for her on Wednesday, April 26, 2017, otuside the Montgomery Theater in downtown San Jose. Becker is leaving her job as San Jose's airport director to become CEO of San Diego International Airport.

When it comes to farewell music, Barry Manilow doesn’t immediately come to mind. But that was the playlist Wednedsay night at a “bon voyage” reception for outgoing San Jose Airport Director Kim Becker, who’s flying south from Silicon Valley to become CEO of San Diego International Airport.

It turns out that Becker is quite the Manilow fan (as are Team San Jose CEO Karolyn Kirchgesler and City Manager Norberto Dueñas), so there were plenty of jokes about how she’s “Ready to Take a Chance Again” in San Diego.

“I came here and I told my family, ‘We’ll come to San Jose for five years.’ Next thing I know, it’s almost 22 years that have gone by,” Becker said. I’s just been an incredible time to see this city develop and to be a part of that, in a small way, has been an honor for me.”

Both former Mayor Chuck Reed, who was in charge when Becker was promoted to replace the retiring Bill Sherry in 2013, and current Mayor Sam Liccardo were on hand to sing Becker’s praises — though not with Manilow lyrics — in running what’s been billed as the most efficient airport in the country. That Becker was well-liked and respected by her colleagues was obvious from the dozens of city and business leaders attending the event, which was also a chance to show off the new courtyards outside the Montgomery Theater and City National Civic Auditorium.

image001.png

PNG image