"Aircraft design company tests new in-flight gyms at Mineta San JoseInternational Airport"

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Aircraft design company tests new in-flight gyms at Mineta San Jose International Airport

By David Louie

KGO-TV Ch 7 (ABC), San Jose (CA)

A3, a division of airframe maker Airbus, is testing new concepts of modular workout spaces, self-serve food service and social lounges at a prototype module inside Terminal B at Mineta San Jose International Airport.

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- The aircraft of the future could be in the hands of its passengers.

San Jose based A3, a division of airframe maker Airbus, is testing new concepts of modular workout spaces, self-serve food service and social lounges at a prototype module inside Terminal B at Mineta San Jose International Airport.

"We're looking at restaurant spaces, working spaces, spaces that are designed specifically for families who are traveling with young kids," said Jason Chua, the project executive from A3.

Passenger feedback is helping to shape this almost year-long project to disrupt the airline passenger experience.

"If they're popular, you can put more of them in. If they become less popular, the novelty wears out, you have the opportunity to swap it out for something else," said Larry Cheng, the Passenger Experience Lead.

Passengers are able to check out yoga mats and exercise bands, they can also use Peloton spin bikes.

The company is collecting feedback from passenger which will help them hopefully change the airline flying experience for all passengers.

"Anything that makes a flight more fun or more activities on a flight, I think that's a good idea. Yeah, or like a day care," said Hung Truong, a San Jose Resident.

"I think then people will probably pay a little bit more to be able to do that and arrive at their destination very fresh," said Brian Fitzgerald, a San Jose resident.

image001.png

PNG image