"TSA find 73 guns in carry-on bags in U.S. airports in one week"

Sunday, March 19, 2017

TSA find 73 guns in carry-on bags in U.S. airports in one week

By Jennifer Brett

The Atlanta (GA) Journal-Constitution

U.S. travelers are packing some serious heat. This is a sample of the weapons TSA agents discovered in carry-on baggage at various US airports from March 6-12.

U.S. travelers are packing some serious heat. This is a sample of the weapons TSA agents discovered in carry-on baggage at various US airports from March 6-12. Photo: TSA

Transportation Security Administration agents discovered 73 guns in bags passengers tried to get onto airplanes in just one week – 66 of which were loaded and 27 of which had a round chambered. Weapons discovered in the Atlanta airport included a .45 and a 9 mm, according to TSA data.

It’s actually nothing new.

“In addition to all of the other prohibited items we find weekly in carry-on bags, our officers also regularly find firearm components, realistic replica firearms, bb and pellet guns, airsoft guns, brass knuckles, ammunition, batons, stun guns, small pocketknives,” the TSA reported on its site.

The report, compiling data from March 6-12, doesn’t spell out details or provide updates on whether the passengers were arrested, fined or simply had their items confiscated. The financial penalty for having a weapon in carry-on baggage can be as high as $11,000, the TSA said.

“Just because we find a prohibited item on an individual does not mean they had bad intentions; that’s for the law enforcement officer to decide,” the update said. “In many cases, people simply forgot they had these items.”

image001.jpg

JPEG image