"Oakland Airport officials report increased passenger traffic"

Monday, February 27, 2017

Oakland Airport officials report increased passenger traffic
Bay City (CA) News

OAKLAND (BCN)-Passenger traffic at the Oakland International Airport continues
its steady upward growth with a substantial increase in the first month of
2017, according to airport officials.

Reports indicate that total passenger traffic at Oakland International Airport
reached 908,898 for the month of January, up 7.8 percent from the same month a
year ago, airport officials said.

The increase marks the 38th consecutive month of year-over-year passenger
traffic growth for the airport. Airport officials attribute the growth to a
record number of destinations, increased flight options, and terminal
renovations.

There's also been a 39 percent increase in international passenger traffic that
is largely attributed to Norwegian Air Shuttle.

Last year the airline began service to London's Gatwick Airport, and recently
increased flights to Stockholm. The airline will begin service to Copenhagen
and Barcelona in the coming months.

"We are very pleased to have had such a strong start to 2017, and that we've
been able to maintain the momentum experienced in 2016," said Bryant T.
Francis, director of aviation for the Port of Oakland, which manages the
airport.

The airport, along with its airline partners, has announced several upcoming
new and expanded routes, including destinations such as Baltimore, Detroit, and
New York.