"New Robot Patrols Chinese Airport"

Sunday, February 26, 2017

New Robot Patrols Chinese Airport
Reporting Lourdes Garcia-Navarro
National Public Radio (NPR) Weekend Edition

The airport in Shenzhen, China has a new intelligent robot trained to carry out
security checks. It has facial recognition capabilities and can fire
electroshock weapons.

LOURDES GARCIA-NAVARRO, HOST:

There's a new sheriff in town. China's first-ever security robot has been hired
at the Shenzhen airport. It's been making round-the-clock patrols through the
departure hall of one of the terminals and getting photographed by curious
travelers. Developed by China's National Defense University, AnBot weighs in at
171 pounds and stands just under five-feet-tall. And it looks like a more
conical R2-D2. It has facial recognition technology and four high-definition
cameras. It can snap pictures of travelers' faces and then send them to human
co-workers for analysis. AnBot can also give you directions if you're lost,
spot fires and monitor air quality, which is important in China. It can also
reportedly respond to riots by emitting a non-lethal electric charge. AnBot is
capable of speeds up to 11 miles per hour, about the maximum speed of a
domestic pig. So slow-moving criminals beware - AnBot might catch you.