"Port Authority reportedly mulling $4 surcharge on airport taxifares"

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Port Authority reportedly mulling $4 surcharge on airport fares
By Rajeev Dhir
NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Traveling to airports could become a little more expensive as soon as next
year, according to multiple reports.

All for-hire cars -- including taxis, black cars and app-based services like
Lyft and Uber -- could be subject to a $4 surcharge at Newark, Laguardia and
JFK, CBS2 reported.

The Port Authority said the proposal is still being considered and would apply
to fares coming in to and out of the airports, according to ABC7.

"If it moves forward, implementation would not occur until 2018, and funds
generated would remain at airports to invest in modernization of our airports,"
the agency said in a statement to ABC7.

The Port Authority did not immediately respond to NJ Advance Media with comment.