"Houston airport restroom technology takes a step into the future"

Friday, February 17, 2017

Houston airport restroom technology takes a step into the future

By Craig Hlavaty

The Houston (TX) Chronicle

Just days after Bush Intercontinental Airport was showing off a new, swanky United Airlines Terminal C North we find out that restroom technology at the airport is also taking a step into the future.

Just days after Bush Intercontinental Airport was showing off a new, swanky United Airlines Terminal C North we find out that restroom technology at the airport is also taking a step into the future.

According to a release via the Houston Airport System, so-called “smart restroom” technology is currently being tested at both Bush and Hobby airports.

What’s so smart about it? Does it make sure you don't leave your jacket in a stall? Tell you if you have toilet paper stuck to your shoe?

Using a touch pad, bathroom users can now submit a satisfaction report on their bathroom experience.

Sad and happy faces make it easy enough, with sad faces prompting you to share what exactly was wrong with the facilities. Dirty stalls, wet floors, no toilet paper, these things and more are what can make a trip to the airport john a problem.

As always, if you see something say something, even if it’s in the restroom.

In-flight cellphone use may soon be banned and travelers could not be happier. Buzz60's Djenane Beaulieu (@djenanebeaulieu) has the story.

Using that input airport staff can know to service the restroom immediately. According to the release the data can tell custodians when enough visitors have used the restroom and it needs tending.

“Passengers have repeatedly told us through customer survey results that clean and modern restroom facilities rank at or near the top of their priority list,” Mario Diaz, aviation director at Houston Airport System, said in the release.

If you’re paying through the nose to fly (not to mention dealing expensive terminal concessions) you expect the toilets to be clean, right?

The release states that the Houston Airport System is intently watching the data to make changes in the future.

The new devices are currently located by the restrooms near D9 and A17 at Bush and gates 29 and 30 at Hobby.

image001.png

PNG image