"Pittsburgh International Airport expands free WiFi for travelers"

Friday, February 17, 2017

Pittsburgh International Airport expands free WiFi for travelers
By Theresa Clift
The Pittsburgh (PA) Tribune-Review

Pittsburgh International Airport will expand its free WiFi Internet services
for travelers, the airport announced Thursday, at a cost of nearly $200,000.

The expansion, in partnership with local tech startup Duolingo, will add 77
WiFi access points in the Airside Terminal, according to an airport news
release.

The WiFi can be accessed in the Landside and Airside Terminals, through all
four concourses and in the Centre Core food courts, the release said.

To connect, when users open a browser, they are automatically directed to
Duolingo.com/jobs, where they click to accept the terms, the release said.
There are no passwords, fees or subscriptions required.

"This is something travelers have demanded, and we have responded," Allegheny
Airport Authority CEO Christina Cassotis said.

The service will cost the airport $197,000 in one-time installation fees, said
Bob Kerlik, airport spokesman.

The airport pays $33,000 a year for the bandwidth - an amount that will not
increase as a result of the expanded WiFi service, Kerlik said.

DuoLingo, a free language-learning website and app started by two Carnegie
Mellon University scientists, pays the airport about $3,000 a month in exchange
for advertising on the WiFi sign-in page, Kerlik said.

"Just as importantly, we want to build partnerships with technology-driven
companies in Pittsburgh that are emblematic of the large tech presence here,"
Kerlik said.