"Nashville airport CEO, other aviation leaders meet with PresidentTrump"

Friday, February 10, 2017

Nashville airport CEO, other aviation leaders meet with President Trump
By Joey Garrison
USA Today

Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority President and CEO Rob Wigington was
among a group of airport and airline executives who met with President Donald
Trump Thursday morning to talk infrastructure and other matters.

At the White House gathering, Trump made pitches to privatize air traffic
control centers and upgrade airports, declaring multiple times, "We need to
rebuild America's airports." The group outlined plans for $100 billion in
projects over the next five years, but funding would need to be found.

Wigington, who has led the Nashville International Airport since 2012, serves
on the Airports Council International-North America's executive committee as
U.S. policy council chair.

Last summer, Wigington announced plans for an ambitious $1.2 billion
renovation of the airport over five years that will include new parking, more
security lines, larger baggage claim and ticketing areas, expanded concourse
space and a new on-site hotel.

"That's exactly the kind of program where we need more passenger-facility
charges at the local level to help us do that," Wigington said Thursday.
Nashville airport plans $1.2B overhaul, including new hotel.

Trump has discussed an infrastructure plan totaling $1 trillion during the next
decade for construction of roads, bridges and airports, but it's unclear
whether it would have congressional support.

Earlier this week, Davidson County Sheriff Daron Hall was invited to meet with
Trump as a part of a group of local sheriffs, but Hall declined, citing his
concerns with the president's recent executives orders on immigration.

According to Politico, Wigington was among around 15 airport executives who
was to meet with Trump on Thursday. They included top executives from Delta Air
Lines, Alaska Airlines, Atlas Air, FedEx, JetBlue Airways, Southwest Airlines,
United Airlines and Airports Council International, as well as CEOs from the
airports in Buffalo, N.Y., Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, New York, New
Jersey and Tampa, Fla.