"Nashville's airport lands new international flight"

Monday, January 30, 2017

Nashville's airport lands new international flight
By Jacob Steimer
The Nashville (TN) Business Journal

Nashville-area residents will now have an easier time getting to Western
Canada, as WestJet will begin flying nonstop from Nashville to Calgary on May
4, according to a Monday news release.

The nonstop flights will run twice weekly, according to the release.

 "Today's announcement marks BNA's first nonstop flight to Calgary and our
second nonstop Canadian destination," Rob Wigington, president and CEO of the
Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority, said in the release. WestJet launched
service from Nashville to Toronto last year.

The announcement comes as the airport is hustling to add international gates in
a push for its first nonstop overseas air service since American Airlines
closed its hub 22 years ago.

Flights to Calgary will depart BNA at 3:40 p.m. on Sundays and Thursdays.
Flights from Calgary will arrive at BNA at 2:45 p.m. on Sundays and Thursdays,
according to the release.

Calgary is the largest city in the Canadian province of Alberta, which is the
fastest-growing province in Canada, and the fifth largest city in Canada.

Earlier this month, the airport announced that about 1.3 million more people
traveled to and from Nashville International Airport in 2016 than in any
previous year.