"Donald Trump Outdoes Himself, Blames Delta for Airport Chaos"

Monday, January 30, 2017

Donald Trump Outdoes Himself, Blames Delta for Airport Chaos

Apparently it had absolutely nothing to do with his havoc-wreaking “Muslim ban.”

By Bess Levin

Vanity Fair

The first week of Donald Trump’s presidency was a whirlwind of what Kellyanne Conway charmingly termed “alternative facts.” The size of the crowds at Trump’s inauguration, for instance, were “the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration both in person and around the globe.” Illegal ballots, we were told, were cast in the “millions.” C.I.A. employees so loved Trump’s bizarrely self-aggrandizing speech that he received “the biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning had won the Super Bowl.” Alternative facts! Or lies, in layman’s terms. The Monday after issuing an executive order banning certain refugees, visa holders, and green-card holders from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States, however, may have brought the greatest example to date of Team Trump rejecting reality. Oh, and it includes bullying a corporation, too!

There are a couple layers of artistry here to appreciate:

(1) According to Trump, chaos and confusion at airports across the country had nothing to do with his decision to sign a hastily-written executive order Friday afternoon banning thousands of people from entering the country without any warning, Department of Homeland Security consultation, or legal review. No, you see, things would have been totally calm and business-as-usual were it not for those protesters, Senator Chuck Schumer expressing human emotion, and Delta.

(2) That Delta’s computer outage is the real culprit here, even though, as Bloomberg points out, the computer outage at Delta “occurred more than 48 hours after the president’s order and lasted only three hours.”

image001.png

PNG image