"Nursing moms get new private spaces at Sea-Tac Airport"

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Nursing moms get new private spaces at Sea-Tac Airport

By Denise Whitaker

KOMO-TV Ch 4 (ABC), Seattle (WA)

There's a new space for mothers to nurse or pump breast milk while traveling through Sea-Tac Airport.

It's a self-contained pod, called Mamava, and comes complete with electricity inside.

"There's enough room in there to be breastfeeding and having another child occupied," said Courtney Gregoire, Port of Seattle Commissioner and mother of two.

It's not the first space the airport's set aside for its traveling moms. That came more than 10 years ago, when they added a children's play area in 2006. Contained inside that area is both a family restroom and a nursing room, equipped for three mothers to use it at once.

"Our data tells us that mothers who are nursing or pumping, wanted space, a private space and not have to use one of our family restrooms," said Susan Goodspeed, customer service program manager at Sea-Tac Airport.

There are many family restrooms throughout the airport, but Goodspeed said those just are not desirable alternatives for nursing moms.

"Not comfortable and not clean and the only place to sit was on a toilet," said Goodspeed.

Now, in addition to the centrally located play and nursing rooms, there are two Mamava pods, in the A concourse and the North Train Station. Each pod costs about $11,000.

"And this is step one, they are temporary and mobile. As we build out our capital improvement, our sustainable plan, we'll be building these in as in making these more permanent features going forward," said Gregoire.

image001.png

PNG image