=?windows-1255?Q?=22Taxi_driver_dispute_over_new_rules_at_Honolulu_Airp?==?windows-1255?Q?ort=FD=22?=

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Some Honolulu airport taxi drivers protest new rules, including credit card
payments
The Associated Press

HONOLULU  Some Honolulu airport taxi drivers are participating in a work
stoppage in protest over new rules, including requiring the acceptance of
credit cards from passengers.

Ampco Express manages the taxi system and entered into a five-year contract
with the state at the beginning of the month that requires new guidelines
including a dress code and allowing credit card payments.

Driver Abraham Martin is organizing the work stoppage. He tells Hawaii News
Now (http://bit.ly/zw9OnE ) Ampco is forcing the changes in the middle of a
contract that runs through June. Ampco did not respond to a request for
comment.

State Department of Transportation spokesman Dan Meisenzahl says the new
rules are aimed at improving customer service.

State Department of Transportation spokesman Dan Meisenzahl says the new
rules are aimed at improving customer service.

He says the work stoppage won't have a severe impact because most cabbies
are still working.