"Embattled Detroit airport CEO could find out her fate today"

Monday, October 31, 2011

Embattled Detroit airport CEO could find out her fate today
BY JOHN WISELY
THE DETROIT (MI) FREE PRESS

The embattled CEO of Detroit Metro Airport could find out today whether she
will keep her job.

The Wayne County Authority Board is to meet at 1:30 p.m. to discuss the fate
of Turkia Awada Mullin.

Board member Suzanne Hall told the Free Press last week that she expected
airport lawyers to explain what Mullin is entitled to if she is fired. It is
unclear whether the board will vote today.

Mullin has been at the center of a controversy since last month, when she
acknowledged receiving a $200,000 severance when she left her job as Wayne
County's chief development officer to become the airport CEO. Hall said
she's prepared to vote to go in a new direction. Board member Bernard Parker
agreed it's time for Mullin to go, but the other board members haven't
spoken publicly.

"There is no material to review before the meeting, there isn't even an
agenda," board member Samuel Nouhan said.

Nouhan wouldn't say Sunday how he plans to vote if firing Mullin is brought
up, though he has praised her work at Metro.

The likely question the board faces is a severance payment to Mullin if she
is fired without cause. Her contract calls for her to receive the remaining
three years' salary -- more than $700,000 -- if she is let go without
reason.

If Mullin is fired with cause, she gets nothing, though she could challenge
that finding through arbitration. Mullin said last week she would not step
down.