"Long Beach Airport Director Mario Rodriguez Appointed to ACI-NA Board"

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

LB's Airport Director Appointed to Powerful Board
By Kristopher Hanson
The Long Beach (CA) Press-Telegram

LONG BEACH -- Long Beach Airport Director Mario Rodriguez has been appointed
to a powerful organization representing more than 95 percent of the globe's
air travellers.

The Airports Council International represents 1,650 airports in 179
countries and territories, and Rodriguez will sit on the council's North
American board of directors.

He'll also remain in his current role overseeing Long Beach Airport, one of
the nation's busiest general aviation fields and portal to more than 3
million commercial airline passengers annually.

The post allows Rodriguez to regularly interact with agencies like the
Federal Aviation Administration, Department of Homeland Security and
Congress, among other influential groups.

Appointed to a 3-year term, he said he'll push for stronger funding for
airports, strengthened environmental measures, passenger safety and
commercial development, among other issues.

"Topics span from FAA's ability, or in-ability, to fund national
infrastructure to environmental issues," Rodriguez said of the board's role.
"This gives us the ability to be heard and put our views forward rather than
be represented by others that may not be as financially or environmentally
aware as us."

Rodriguez said the organization's board meets about three times annually,
not including regular teleconfrences. The new role won't hinder his ability
to direct Long Beach Airport, Rodriguez said.

"This is actually great for Long Beach...and gives Long Beach a seat at the
big table and an opportunity to have a voice in the national arena,"
Rodriguez said.
Hired in early 2009, Rodriguez previously led Louis Armstrong International
Airport New Orleans and was also a director of Palm Beach International
Airport in Florida.

He holds a degree in civil engineering from the University of Miami.