"9/11 lawsuit questions security at Logan Airport"

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mass. family's 9/11 suit questions Logan security
The Associated Press

BOSTON - The family of a Massachusetts man killed in the Sept. 11, 2001
terrorist attacks says newly released court documents show security problems
at Boston's airport the day of attacks are to blame for the man's death.

The documents were filed in federal court in Manhattan as part of a lawsuit
brought by the family of Mark Bavis against United Airlines and a private
security company. The suit alleges the company's screeners at Logan
International Airport weren't made aware of the terrorist threat from
al-Qaida, didn't know what the chemical Mace was and had trouble
communicating in English.

Bavis died when his flight from Boston was flown into the World Trade
Center's south tower.

"What's really shocking for me is it's taken more than nine years for this
to come out," Bavis's twin brother, Mike Bavis, told the Boston Herald in a
report published Tuesday.

The defendants have argued they shouldn't be held liable for a terrorist
attack that came without warning.

Among the documents filed by the plaintiffs late last week were transcripts
of depositions with screeners who claimed they were never briefed on
potential threats.

"Was there any discussion during your classroom training about threat
information? About potential terrorist threats or things of that nature. ...
Osama bin Laden or al Qaida?" one screener was asked.

"I don't remember talking about that," the screener responded.

The same person was asked if he had any training about what kinds of knives
were allowed in secure areas of the airport. The answer: "At that point, we
don't have no rules."

When asked if each shift started with a security briefing, another screener
responded, "No, we never had that."

The plaintiffs also filed an FBI report on an interview with the father of
another Sept. 11 victim describing frantic phone calls from his son, a
passenger on the same hijacked Boston flight carrying Mark Bavis.

"It's getting bad, dad," the father of Lee Hanson recalled his son saying.
"A stewardess was stabbed. They seem to have knives and Mace. ... I don't
think the pilot is flying the plane. I think we're going down. ... Don't
worry, dad. If it happens, it will be very fast."

Related:

Delay, Dilute and Discard: How the Airline Industry and the FAA Have Stymied
Aviation Security Recommendations
http://www.californiaaviation.org/weblog/archive/2004_10_01_archive

Calculating the Value of Human Life Just One Month before 9/11
http://www.californiaaviation.org/weblog/2005/11/calculating-value-of-human-
life-just

Regulatory Compliance and Airport Competition
http://www.californiaaviation.org/weblog/2004/04/regulatory-compliance-and-a
irport

The Airline Industry and Self-regulation: Pre-9/11 Rules Barred Box Cutters
http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg31262.html

Airport Liability: Lawyers for 9-11 victims want to use Logan security
http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg31749.html

Airlines and Airport Security Agree to Pay $1.2 Billion for 9/11 Property
Damage
http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg47224.html

Logan hasn't learned post-9/11 lessons: Airport sweep uncovers lax security,
nets 14 aliens (2005)
http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg34414.html

Truth as a Tactic
http://www.californiaaviation.org/weblog/2007/08/honesty-as-tactic