"Firefighters train for airport emergencies"

Monday, June 6, 2011

Firefighters train for airport emergencies
By Lynne Lynch
The Columbia Basin (WA) Herald

MOSES LAKE -- If you see plumes of black smoke and flames coming from the
Grant County International Airport, don't worry.

It's part of firefighter training offered by Big Bend Community College's
Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting School.

"Truck 4 respond to a downed aircraft," orders a voice over the radio to
firefighters waiting outside.

The firefighters respond, extinguishing the fuel-ignited fire.

Training scenarios include commercial aircraft on fire, a wing wheel break
and engine issues, said Keith Taylor, the college's training coordinator.

He also is assistant chief of operations for Sea-Tac International Airport.

He likes the Grant County International Airport's training facility.

"(It gives instructors) the opportunity to really mold and train people and
work on their skills as aircraft firefighters," Taylor explained.

Instructor Valorie Tomren works inside a small building equipped with a
control panel triggering an emergency horn, fuel pump, water pump, well pump
and catch basin. She also is a Pasco firefighter.

The school offers a spring class for about 10 days and a fall class for
about five days.

"There are lots and lots of fire departments represented in all our
classes," she said.