UPS Crash Puts Focus on Smoke in Cockpit

UPS Crash Puts Focus on Smoke in Cockpit

The investigation into the United Parcel Service Inc. cargo plane that crashed while attempting to return to Dubai last week, killing both pilots, has revived safety concerns about preventing and responding to cockpit smoke.
Investigators are trying to determine why the experienced crew, after reporting smoke and declaring an emergency about 20 minutes after takeoff, decided to return to Dubai rather than opting to land at a closer strip. For years, aircraft manufacturers, regulators and safety experts world-wide have emphasized the importance of landing as quickly as possible—ideally in less than 20 minutes—in the event of smoke or fire.