"Fresno offers airport incentives"

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fresno offers airport incentives
The Fresno (CA) Bee

Fresno Yosemite International Airport hopes to add more destinations and
lure additional airlines with a package of financial incentives.

The Fresno City Council today unanimously approved discounts that could be
worth between $30,000 to $60,000 to airlines that increase the number of
United States cities travelers can reach on direct, round-trip flights from
Fresno's airport.

The incentives - including various fee waivers and rent of currently unused
space - would last for 120 days. And airlines must use planes with at least
50 seats to qualify.

Each new city added to the Fresno airport's roster of destinations produces
$60,000 to $120,000 in annual revenue, aviation director Russ Widmar said.

Travelers can fly non-stop to 10 cities from Fresno. San Diego and Chicago
top Widmar's wish list of new destinations.

Incentive packages similar to Fresno's are offered at airports throughout
the county, Widmar said, including those in Sacramento and Dallas-Fort
Worth.

More generous incentive packages already are offered to airlines that add
international flights at Fresno's airport.