"JetBlue flight hits birds, returns to Long Beach"

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

JetBlue flight hits birds, returns to Long Beach
By Jesus Sanchez
The Los Angeles (CA) Times

A JetBlue airliner was forced to return to Long Beach Airport this morning
after striking birds during take off, according to aviation authorities.

The pilot of Flight 244 en route to Oakland reported hearing a loud noise
shortly after taking off from Long Beach just before 11 a.m., said Federal
Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor.

The pilot idled one of the Airbus A320's two engines and flew over the ocean
to burn off some fuel before returning to the Long Beach airport at 11:21
a.m. without incident, Gregor said. The plane was carrying 154 passengers
and crew members.

Employees on the ground found some bird carcasses on the airfield, Gregor
said.

Sebastian White, a JetBlue spokesman, said the engines were being inspected
for damage.