"Blast at Pakistani airport kills one, wounds two"

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Blast at Pakistani airport kills one, wounds two

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - A car bomb exploded outside the airport in
the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar on Tuesday, killing one person
and wounding two, police said.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Peshawar is near the border with Afghanistan and has seen several, mostly
small, explosions over the past year.

"It was an act of terrorism. We are investigating," said senior police
officer Malik Saad.

The explosion was quite close to one of several military offices outside the
airport, he said.

Islamist groups seeking to destabilise the government because of President
Pervez Musharraf's alliance with the United States in the war on terrorism
are suspected of being behind a wave of attacks in the northwest in recent
months.

A blast in a crowded Peshawar market killed six people and wounded more than
30 on October 20.