"Party puts Dulles airport officials in hot oil"

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Party puts airport officials in hot oil
The Associated Press

CHANTILLY, Va. --- Add deep-fried turkey to the list of banned substances at
Dulles International Airport.

A recent holiday party at the airport's administrative offices drew a fire
marshal and complaints from union officials upset with the menu: a
deep-fried turkey prepared on site that they deemed a fire hazard.

"It has . . . come to my attention that the Dulles Management decided it
would be a nice idea to DEEP FRY A TURKEY in the Dulles administrative
quarters, surrounded by carpet, linoleum, an airport, aircraft, a control
tower, thousands if not millions of gallons of jet fuel and thousands of
passengers and employees," Kieron Heflin, an air traffic controller's union
representative, complains in a letter to management.

The party was held in offices next to the Dulles terminal and a few hundred
feet from the control tower.

An airport fire marshal made managers turn off the cooker, airport
spokeswoman Tara Hamilton says.

The fire marshal was initially called by an employee who wanted to know how
to dispose of the gallons of hot peanut oil used for frying, Hamilton says.

A spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration says managers did
nothing wrong.