"The laws of duty-free shopping"

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The laws of duty-free shopping
By Marshall Loeb
MarketWatch

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - Traveling abroad this winter? Between endless
airport security lines and rushing to catch your connecting flight, you may
have some time to browse the airport duty-free shop. Whether you buy a
bottle of single-malt Scotch or the latest Chanel perfume, you might have
some trouble getting your duty-free bottled goods on the plane.

The U.S. Transportation Security Agency and the European Commission have
consistent rules for carrying liquids onto flights. Anything less than three
ounces or 100 ml is allowed on the plane, no questions asked. (Though it
better be in a transparent plastic bag.) And if you buy a standard liquor
bottle in a secure airport area after passing through screening, you're
fine, too.

But if you leave the secure area to get baggage or go through immigration
and customs, you're not going to be able to bring the bottle as a carry-on
if you're getting back on a plane for a connecting flight. In that case,
you'll have to pack the bottle in your checked luggage.

You're likely to encounter this situation whenever you leave a secure
airport area to catch a connecting flight. So plan ahead when it comes to
duty-free shopping, or you might have to ditch the goods you were hoping to
save some cash on.