"Talk of Southwest at Logan of little concern to Dillon"

Friday, December 22, 2006

Talk of Southwest at Logan of little concern to Dillon
By BENJAMIN KEPPLE
The Manchester (NH) Union Leader

The head of Manchester-Boston Regional Airport said yesterday he didn't
foresee a major impact to Manchester's airport if Southwest Airlines begins
service from Logan International Airport in Boston.

Speculation about whether the discount airline would start Boston service
surfaced this week, after The Boston Globe reported that bankrupt Delta Air
Lines Inc. reached a deal to give up some of its space in Logan's Terminal
A. That raised the possibility other airlines, such as Southwest, might move
into any available space.

Southwest Airlines, which offers Boston-area service from Manchester and
T.F. Green International Airport near Providence, didn't immediately return
a call seeking comment. However, Airport Director Kevin Dillon said he
didn't see the idea -- should it happen -- having much impact on Southwest's
Manchester operations, given the business Southwest has built out of
Manchester.

"There's always the possibility Southwest could start service at locations
throughout New England," Dillon said. But were Southwest to add gates at
Logan International Airport, he added, "I don't see it having a critical
impact (to Manchester's airport)."