"MSP passes on Registered Traveler program"

Friday, December 22, 2006

Airport passes on screening program
The St. Paul (MN) Pioneer Press

The Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport is not participating in a
federal program designed to zip folks through airport security, at least for
now. "We didn't really see a benefit to travelers," said airport spokesman
Patrick Hogan. Under the program, registered travelers who passed background
checks and provided iris scans and fingerprints still had to pass through a
metal detector and put carry-on bags through an X-ray machine, but they were
exempt from other random screenings. Airport officials might be interested
in the fee-based program if the Transportation Security Administration
changes the screening requirements while maintaining security for registered
travelers, Hogan said.