"Records detail missing TSA badges, uniforms"

Friday, December 22, 2006

Records detail missing TSA badges, uniforms
The Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - More than 3,700 identification badges and uniform items
have been reported lost or stolen from Transportation Security
Administration employees since 2003, according to documents obtained by a
San Antonio television station.

WOAI-TV received the documents under the Freedom of Information Act.

Los Angeles International Airport reported the most items with 636 missing
uniforms. O'Hare International Airport in Chicago reported 189 missing
badges.

Bush International Airport in Houston led Texas with 77 missing items.
Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport had about 40 items gone.

Security experts have said the badges and uniforms could pose a security
threat if they end up in the wrong hands.

Earl Morris, field operations general manager for TSA, said the missing
items don't mean the system is flawed.

"We have many different security levels in place to thwart any kind of
attempt to breech our security," Morris said.

U.S. Rep. Lamar Smith, R-San Antonio, said he will propose legislation to
fine TSA employees who lose their badges or uniforms.