"Toronto airport security under scrutiny"

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Airport security under scrutiny
680 AM Radio, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Toronto - Pearson International Airport is prepping for one of its busiest
times of the year with passenger volume expected to be up by about 25 per
cent this weekend, but the security of the airport has come under scrutiny.

CBC's The National reports that for several days in October, a labour
dispute disrupted the baggage screening procedures.

An investigative report by Transport Canada, obtained by the CBC, says that
"the security screening process was circumvented, and in some cases,
abandoned altogether."

In the four days after thanksgiving, airport screeners working for the
private security company, GARDA, were on a work-to-rule campaign. The
screeners say their managers stepped in to tackle the long lines, and
demanded they speed things up.

As a result, carry-on baggage was not properly screened and sometimes, not
screened at all. This was the case for about 250,000 passengers.

Sources tell the CBC that Minister of Transport, Lawrence Cannon, is aware
of the situation but has refused to comment.