"Thai airport contractors summoned"

Friday, December 22, 2006

Airport contractors summoned
Thailand - The Bangkok Post

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) board yesterday authorised a working group to
find solutions to problems identified in Suvarnabhumi airport's construction
and seek out those responsible for them. AoT board member Yodyiam
Theptranont, who heads the working group that also conducted the initial
study on the airport's problems, said the panel will call a meeting of
involved contractors, engineers and architects at the Transport Ministry on
Dec 26.

His working group will discuss with them the possible solutions to correct
problems at the new airport as well as setting the timeframe for repairs.

Mr Yodyiam also vowed to identify those responsible for the faults in the
airport's construction.

''If guilty, their professional licence could be revoked,'' he said.

The AoT board's move yesterday was in response to a report, submitted by Mr
Yodyiam's working group, which blamed a mixture of substandard construction,
poor management and manipulation of the designs and materials for the
faults.

The panel compiled a lengthy list of deficiencies along with a list of
recommendations to fix the problems.