[Archive Home][Date Prev][Date Next][Index]


"Trapped passengers settle in at Denver airport; some reach hotels"

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Trapped passengers settle in at airport; some reach hotels
By Jeffrey Leib 
The Denver (CO) Post

Blizzard conditions closed Denver International Airport on Wednesday
afternoon, hopelessly delaying tens of thousands of holiday travelers. 

About 5,000 passengers were stranded at the airport Wednesday evening - many
pitching camp on the rugs and stone floors of the cavernous terminal. 

United Airlines, DIA's largest carrier, canceled more than 670 of its 800
flights as heavy snow and high winds swept through the region, and it
expected to cancel 700 flights today. Frontier Airlines canceled about 250
of its 300 flights Wednesday and expected to drop another 250 flights today.

DIA isn't expected to resume flights until sometime this evening. 

Because so many flights are booked this time of year, travelers who were
bumped may have to wait days before getting another flight out of Denver,
airline officials said. 

About 90 percent of Frontier's flights today and Friday already were booked,
leaving little wiggle room for stranded tourists, Frontier spokesman Joe
Hodas said. 

"You've got far more people looking for those seats than we have available
seats," Hodas said. "We're going to try and book them as best we can. That's
all we can do." 

Nearly all ground transportation to and from DIA stopped by midafternoon.
Some travelers had waited for a taxi in blowing snow outside the terminal
for three hours or more. 

Airport officials had requested RTD buses to help ferry people from the
airport. By 7 p.m., buses began arriving to take passengers with
reservations to hotels near the Stapleton area and in downtown Denver. 

Conditions on Peņa Boulevard were making it nearly impossible for RTD
vehicles to reach DIA, officials said. 

Several stranded travelers expressed a feeling of resignation. Janine
Sharples of Bridgeton, Maine, who was trying to get to Albuquerque, said
there was little point in getting angry. 

"Mother Nature is in charge here," said Sharples, who, along with her
husband, was diverted to Denver on Tuesday. 
Meanwhile, stranded travelers braced for a long night at the airport. 

Matt and Michelle Smith of Castle Rock had arrived early in the morning for
a flight to Sacramento, Calif., with their 4-year- old daughter and
18-month-old son in tow. By midafternoon, the family was camped out at the
end of the terminal, not knowing when they could get a flight. 

"People don't even know what to do," Michelle Smith said. 

Some passengers managed to fly into DIA on Wednesday morning before
white-out conditions shut the airport. Many others were stuck in their
aircraft for hours on the snowy tarmac because planes could not be moved

The airport and Peņa Boulevard were officially shut down about 3 p.m. as the
white-out conditions made it difficult for snowplow drivers to operate on
runways, taxiways and Peņa. 

By 6 p.m., DIA officials established a baggage holding area so passengers
could leave their bags in the terminal and go through security screening to
reach the concourses and get food where lines were shorter. 

Red Cross volunteers, in turn, began distributing snacks, drinks and other
amenities, as airport officials scrambled to turn the airport into a more
functional, large-scale campground. About 4,200 blankets were handed out,
along with 400 cots with priority given to the elderly, the disabled and
families with young children. 

Denver Aviation Manager Turner West said airport officials would be able to
accommodate the travelers facing an overnight stay. "We've got heat, water,
restrooms and food," he said. 

For the airlines, the challenge for the coming days will be accommodating
the thousands of passengers from hundreds of canceled flights. 

Today and Friday were expected to be the third- and fourth- busiest days in
DIA history. Wednesday's passenger count was close to these levels, but
nearly the whole flight schedule to and from DIA was canceled. 

Attached Photo:

Matt and Michelle Smith of Castle Rock settle in for a long stay Wednesday
at Denver International Airport. Daughter Daphne, left, 4, and son Cole, 1,
keep busy. The family arrived early Wednesday for a flight to California
that never left the ground.


Current CAA news channel:

Fair Use Notice
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of political, human rights, economic, democracy and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. If you have any queries regarding this issue, please Email us at stepheni@cwnet.com