"Alabama airport checked for hazardous materials"

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Airport checked for hazardous materials
The Birmingham (AL) News

Two Transportation Security Administration workers were taken to UAB
Hospital tonight after complaining of nausea and burning sensations from a
rash after examining luggage at the Birmingham International Airport,
authorities said.

The Birmingham Fire Department's Hazardous Materials Unit and
Decontamination unit were both called to the airport following the 8:30 p.m.
incident, said Birmingham Fire and Rescue Capt. C.W. Mardis. The Hazmat unit
ran tests and took samples but could not find anything that might have
caused the symptoms, such as chemical agents, he said.

The scene cleared about 10:30 p.m.

Airport spokeswoman Antoniette Herrera-Bast said the incident did not stop
any operations at the airport.