"Cincinnati airport vendors getting a break"

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

SPENDING UP
Airport vendors getting a break
By Kerry Duke
The Cincinnati (OH) Post

While fewer passengers at Cincinnati/Northern have led to sagging sales, one
bright spot was that spending per passenger is up.

In October, passengers boarding or disembarking at the airport spent $7.30
on average - up 11 cents over the October 2005 amount.

Concessionaires at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport
will get a break from their landlord to help ease the hit in sales they've
endured this year due largely to cutbacks in service by Delta Air Lines.

The Kenton County Airport Board voted Monday to approve a two-year extension
of the contracts for all the food, beverage, retail and service concessions
operating at the airport this year.

The board also authorized Bob Holscher, the airport's chief executive
officer, to reduce or eliminate the minimum payments concessionaires make to
the airport on a case-by-case basis after a review of their books.

"It was recommended that we look at extending their agreements for two
additional years," Paul Hegedus, the airport's commercial and business
development manager, told board members before they vote.

"One, to make up for 2006 and also in recognition for what we are projecting
to be a similar year in 2007."

Hegedus said overall sales among all concessionaires at the airport were
down 24.5 percent through November from the same period a year earlier.

In Delta's Concourse B in Terminal 3, sales have declined 32 percent over
the same period, he said. For all of Terminal 3, the dip was 19.93 percent.

For concession businesses operating in Terminal 1, sales were down 4.96
percent. Only Terminal 2 concessionaires saw sales increase - a 12.92
percent boost.

The slide in sales began after Delta reduced service last year at the
airport, its second largest hub, by 26 percent.

Delta and Comair, which are both in bankruptcy, operate nearly 80 percent of
the flights at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky.