"Bomb scare at Fort Wayne Int'l Airport causes evacuation"

Monday, December 18, 2006

Bomb scare at Fort Wayne International Airport causes evacuation
By Abby Slutsky
The Fort Wayne (IN) Journal Gazette

A hand-written note inside a magazine onboard a Chautauqua Airlines commuter
plane forced the evacuation of about 25 passengers and three crew members at
Fort Wayne International Airport Monday evening. Chautauqua Airlines is
operated by Delta.

Fort Wayne police, using a bomb-sniffing dog and a robot, searched the
aircraft, but no bomb was found on board the plane, said Fort Wayne police
deputy chief Marty Bender.

According to Bender, the plane was preparing to take off about 3:50 p.m.
when a passenger found a magazine in which someone had written that a bomb
was on board.

Airport officials and police referred additional questions to the FBI.

"These types of incidents have occurred many times since 9/11, and we'd
rather err on the side of caution," Wendy Osborne, FBI special agent, said.

Additional information related to this story will appear in Tuesday's
edition of The Journal Gazette, or come back to www.journalgazette.net after
7 a.m.