"Malaysian Airports Sees No Need For Special Training Of Security Staff"

Monday, December 18, 2006

M'sia Airports Sees No Need For Special Training Of Security Staff
Malaysia - Bernama

SEPANG, -- Malaysia Airports Berhad (MAB), Monday said it did not see any
need for its security personnel to undergo special training to help prevent
cases like the recent microchips robbery in Penang.

MAB Senior General Manager of Security and Safety Services Datuk Kamaruddin
Mohd Ismail said its security team was already equipped with the necessary
skills and training needed to handle such situations.

"As an operator (of a free commercial zone), we have our own security
(team), which has already been trained sufficiently by the police and us ...
so we don't see any need (for further training)," he told reporters after
the launch of the 18th Heads of Auxiliary Police and Senior Police Officers
Conference, here.

Kamaruddin was responding to questions on whether special training should be
given to the Auxiliary Police Unit or other authorities jointly responsible
in ensuring cargo security at the KL International Airport (KLIA).

He said the Finance Ministry had placed Malaysia Airlines in charge of
operating the free commercial zone in Penang while the KLIA is under the
jurisdiction of MAB.

"As an operator, we are responsible for overall security but inside those
zones are other forwarding agents which should be equally responsible and
have their own in-house security," he said.

Meanwhile, Training Management Deputy Director Datuk Ayob Mohamed, who
launched the conference on behalf of Bukit Aman Director of Management Datuk
Mohd Amir Sulaiman, refuted a claim that the police force was reluctant to
train auxiliary police personnel.

"We are recruiting an additional 60,000 police personnel and we have to
provide training for all of them in the next five years. The problem is
finding the time and location for training, but we will sort these issues
out at the conference," he said.

Earlier, Auxiliary Police Association Head Radzi Awang mentioned that in
recent years, it was becoming increasingly difficult for auxiliary policemen
to get training from the police force.

Some 90 representatives of 50 agencies under the association are attending
the two-day conference, which will discuss management and security issues as
well as define the roles of auxiliary policemen.