"Chain builds hotel near Boise Airport, builds suite inside airport"

Monday, December 18, 2006

Chain builds hotel near Boise Airport, builds suite inside airport
By Brad Carlson
The Idaho Business Review

If its new "popup" hotel suite at Boise Airport goes over as anticipated,
the Cambria Suites hotel chain will duplicate it at other airports.

Choice Hotels' first Cambria Suites hotel in the U.S. is expected to open by
the end of next month at 2970 W. Elder St. near Boise Airport.

But adjacent to a baggage carousel at the airport, you'll find a hotel suite
complete with separate living room and bedroom, spa-like bathroom, two
flat-panel televisions and even some exterior features found on the hotel
building.

"As a brand, one of the things I've wanted to do is think outside of the box
and not do just the same thing everybody else did," Cambria Suites Brand
Manager William Edmundson said. "Building an actual suite in the airport
really is unique. It allows us to take the hotel to the guests."

Cambria views the airport suite as a head start for marketing a hotel that's
still under construction, and as a way to show Cambria amenities to people
at Boise Airport, Edmundson said.

"This is a significant investment, and is something that we will be using as
we go to different markets," Edmundson said. "It is worth every penny and
more."

Boise Airport spokeswoman Larissa Stouffer said Cambria officials came to
airport managers with the idea through the Reno-based Elizabeth Younger
Agency, the airport's advertising concessionaire.

"We're honored that we have the opportunity to have this in the airport
because it's a fabulous marketing idea," she said. "We anticipate there to
be some exposure for this if it hasn't been done in other airports."

At least two Cambria employees will staff the suite at all times, Edmundson
said.

Cambria will cost around $10 million to build and will employ 35 to 40,
Heinen said. Suites will cost $139 to $149 per night.