"Airport Land Use: San Diego Sues To Lower Tower Near Airport"

Sunday, December 17, 2006

City Sues To Lower Tower Near Airport
The Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego city attorney has filed a lawsuit in Superior
Court demanding that a 180-foot-tall tower be lowered by 20 feet so
airplanes landing at Kearny Mesa Airport in bad weather won't run into it.

The Federal Aviation Administration has declared that the 12-story office
tower could be a hazard to planes in stormy conditions.

Bad weather landings account for 10 percent of the landings each year.

The developer, Sunroad Enterprises, has repeatedly said the building is not
a hazard and refused to reduce its height.

The company said the top two floors can't be removed without demolishing the
entire $45 million building.