"Memphis airport's concessions best in nation"

Friday, December 15, 2006

Airport's concessions best in nation
The Memphis (TN) Business Journal

Memphis International Airport has won the 2006 Airport Concessions Contest
conducted by the Airports Council International-North America.

The airport received the Richard A. Griesbach Award of Excellence, the
highest bestowed on an airport for its concession program. Memphis
International's Concourse B was selected as "Best Overall" among all
airports. In addition, the food and beverage program received a first-place
award, and the retail specialty program won a second place award.

According to an airport newsletter, one of the award judges said, "The
essence of Memphis is truly captured in the overall design. I would find it
hard to even leave the airport. Great job."

More than 50 airports throughout the U.S. and Canada entered the contest.
Airports were judged on the mix of concessions, design, passenger flow,
price, and the program's revenue performance.

"When we decided to renovate our concessions, we knew we wanted to showcase
Memphis through food, retail, artwork and music," Larry Cox, president and
CEO of Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority, said in the newsletter. "We
are very proud to receive this award because our concessions have truly
captured the essence of Memphis. Travelers now experience Memphis without
ever leaving the airport."

The new concessions feature local favorites such as Interstate BBQ, Back
Yard Burgers, Lenny's, Corky's, Grisanti's Bol a Pasta, Sun Studio, The
Memphis Zoo, the Memphis Rock & Soul Museum and Elvis Presley Enterprises.
Memphis-themed restaurants are also part of the new concession program.
Varsity Grill, which includes menu items from Folk's Folly and Huey's, is
one of them.