"Toronto airport needs test pilots for new terminal"

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Airport needs test pilots for new terminal
By John Stewart
Canada - The Mississauga News

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) is looking for 1,200
volunteers to test the spectacular new Terminal 1's operational systems.

The guinea pigs are needed on Saturday, Jan. 13, when they will act just as
passengers would on the first day the international portion of the terminal
opens. they'll park at the airport, coming into the terminal, visiting the
arrival and departure areas, checking in, going through security screening
and gate and boarding procedures. The only thing missing will be the flight.

"The volunteers will play an important role in the development of the new
Terminal 1," the GTAA says on its web site. "Acting as actual passengers,
they will be able to shape the way that the GTAA operates this new
state-of-the-art facility."

Although they have spent years designing and perfecting the flow of
passengers through the terminal to minimize conflicts, officials are anxious
to see how the systems work in the new portion of the terminal devoted to
international flights true-life circumstances.

The GTAA has conducted a couple of tests previously and had no trouble
finding pretend customers, says Scott Armstrong of the GTAA.

"The response has been great," he said, noting that 1,800 people showed up
for a similar test last October. "We got a lot more people than expected."

Volunteers will be given a specific role to play.

"You might be a passenger going to Vienna, with two suitcases and a golf bag
and you'll check in and make your way through the airport just as you
normally would," says Armstrong.

The airport even provides the luggage.

The test will take place from 9 a.m.-noon.

Not only will volunteers have an "excellent way to preview the terminal,"
said the GTAA, it's a chance to be part of Toronto's aviation history.

Volunteers will receive a breakfast of coffee, tea, juice, water and
pastries, will be treated to lunch and will receive a thank you gift, as
well as free parking.

To volunteer, visit www.gtaa.com and click on the press release on the
subject. It includes a link to fill out the volunteer form.