"Runway Checks Are Urged"

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Runway Checks Are Urged
The Associated Press

Airline pilots should be required to follow procedures to make sure their
airplanes take off on the right runway, federal investigators said. The
National Transportation Safety Board recommendation results from its
investigation of a plane crash on Aug. 27 at Lexington Blue Grass Airport in
Kentucky. In that accident, a Comair jet tried to take off from the wrong
runway, which was shorter, and crashed, killing 49 people. The board said
the Federal Aviation Administration should require airlines to "establish
procedures requiring all crewmembers on the flight deck to positively
confirm and cross-check the airplane's location at the assigned departure
runway."