"Airport screener sought in Pa. jewelry store robbery"

Saturday, December 2, 2006

Airport screener sought in Pa. jewelry store robbery
The Associated Press

ALLENTOWN, Pa. - A man who works as an airport screener was being sought
after authorities alleged he robbed a Poconos diamond store at gunpoint and
made off with $100,000 in jewelry.

Daniel Edmund Pacheco, 26, works as a federal Transportation Security
Administration screener at Newark Liberty International Airport.

Pacheco, of Bushkill, Pike County, walked into the Designer Diamond Outlet
store near Stroudsburg on Thursday night and said he was shopping for a
diamond, Stroud Area Regional police said.

He then pulled out a handgun and forced the co-owners to open the store's
safe, Capt. William J. Parrish said.

When officers responded to the shop's silent alarm, Pacheco put the gun to
his head, authorities said.

Instead of pulling the trigger, he used a cell phone to call a woman,
telling her, "Remember, I did this for us," then escaped out the back door
with a bag full of jewelry, Parrish said.

A warrant for Pacheco's arrest was issued Friday, charging him with robbery,
aggravated assault, theft, unlawful restraint and false imprisonment.

TSA spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said the agency was aware of the robbery and that
Pacheco has been placed on indefinite suspension without pay.

Parrish said police found Pacheco's sport utility vehicle in the strip
mall's parking lot.