"Plans to rebuild northern Afghan airport for international flights announced"

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Plans to rebuild northern Afghan airport for international flights announced
Excerpt from report by Afghan Balkh Province television

Enayatollah Qasemi, the minister of transport, and his entourage paid a
visit to Mazar-e Sharif. Balkh Province Governor Atta Mohammad Nur, a number
of prominent intellectuals, heads of political parties and a number of
traders went to welcome the minister. Representatives of political parties
and leaders from the private sectors also went to Kholm District to welcome
the minister and his entourage. The minister told our reporter:

[Qasemi] The main goal of my visit is to assess the situation down here. We
would like to start the reconstruction work of the airport. I talked with
the finance minister and we decided to reconstruct Mazar airport similarly
to the one in Kabul and it should be second international airport after
Kabul. We will soon have it rebuilt and completed. We want to have direct
flights from Mazar-e Sharif to other provinces and cities. I am visiting
here to assess the necessary activities.

Mazar airport should be ready for international flights and we have
allocated 20m dollars at the moment and will spend 80m dollars more in the
future.