"Honolulu airport evacuated"

Monday, October 25, 2004

Honolulu airport evacuated
The Associated Press

HONOLULU -- A defective security machine led to the evacuation Monday of the
Honolulu International Airport, delaying flights and passengers for about
two hours.

When Transportation Security Administration workers noticed a baggage
screening machine was not working properly, the airport was evacuated and
searched. Passengers were required to go through security check points
again, officials said.

About 85 passengers had gone through the faulty screening machine in the
airport's overseas terminal. Some had already gotten on their planes and
were forced to get off.

"As a precaution, everybody decided we had to clear the airport and screen
the passengers again," state Transportation Department spokesman Scott
Ishikawa said.

The malfunction initially delayed 19 flights and some 1,000 passengers and
also pushed back several later flights, Ishikawa said.

The cause of the glitch hadn't been determined.