"Designers to check safety at Bangkok passenger terminal"

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Designers to check safety at passenger terminal
Thailand - The Bangkok Post

Airport designers will review the safety of the passenger terminal at
Suvarnabhumi airport after a similar terminal at France's Charles de
Gaulle airport collapsed this week.

New Bangkok International Airport Co (NBIA) acting head Gen Somchai
Somprasong said the new airport's concourses were similar to the one in
Paris which collapsed on Sunday.

Despite assurances from designers and builders, the board wanted
thorough checks to be conducted to ensure safety.

The concourses of Suvarnabhumi and Charles de Gaulle were tube-like and
designed for glass roofs and walls.

Suvarnabhumi's design belongs to the Murphy Jahn/TAMS/ACT consortium but
the French design was the work of another firm which lost out in the
Suvarnabhumi bidding contest.

The new Bangkok airport is due to open in September next year.

Government spokesman Jakrapob Penkair said Prime Minister Thaksin
Shinawatra would hold a mobile cabinet meeting at the site one weekend
soon to demonstrate the progress made in the airport's construction.

Mr Thaksin was worried about delays in the construction of a new train
terminal in Makkasan to connect the airport to Bangkok's city centre.

The bidding process for the Makkasan project has not yet begun.