"Philadelphia International Airport Goes Smoke-Free"

Friday, April 30, 2004

Airport bans smoking entirely
Philadelphia International had exempted some bars and restaurants in its
terminals. That will end tomorrow.
By Tom Belden
The Philadelphia (PA) Inquirer

Philadelphia International Airport will ban smoking in all areas of its
terminals starting tomorrow, airport officials said.

Smoking has been prohibited in most of the airport's buildings for five
years, but still has been allowed in 13 bars and restaurants scattered
throughout the six terminals.

Philadelphia will be the 12th airport among the nation's 20 largest,
measured by passenger traffic, to ban smoking indoors completely, chief
of staff Jeff Shull said.

The bars and restaurants are likely to lose some smoking customers but
could attract others who have avoided them because of smoking, Shull
said.

The policy had been discussed by the airport's staff and its citizens'
advisory board for several years, he added. "The two physicians on our
advisory board, Dr. Stuart Shapiro and the late Dr. Ronald Pennock,
really focused on it," he said.

Officials from the airport and the American Lung Association of
Pennsylvania planned to announce the policy and a publicity campaign
about it at an airport news conference today.

The campaign will include public-address announcements and advisories at
security checkpoints, on parking-lot bus shelters, on scrolling message
boards, and on flight-information displays.