"Japan to Delay Start of Haneda Airport Expansion Work"

Thursday, December 5, 2002

Japan to Delay Start of Haneda Airport Expansion Work
Japan - Jiji Press

Tokyo, -- Japan's transport ministry has decided to give up on a plan to
start building a fourth runway at Tokyo International Airport at Haneda
in fiscal 2003, ministry officials said Thursday.

The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport made the decision
after failing to reach agreement with the Tokyo metropolitan and other
local governments over the financial burden to be shouldered by each
party, the officials told Jiji Press.

As a result, the ministry has been forced to give up making a budget
request related to the 900-billion-yen project in fiscal 2003, the
officials said. The airport, known as Haneda airport, is located near
central Tokyo and mainly handles domestic flights.

The ministry plans to allocate some of the new landing slots for the
planned 2,500-meter runway, scheduled to start operations in 2009, to
international flights. But the plan may be delayed because of the latest
decision.

http://www.californiaaviation.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID8