"New concourse opens at Minneapolis airport's main terminal"

Friday, November 1, 2002

Air traveler alert: Wear comfy shoes
By Dan Wascoe Jr.
The Minneapolis (MN) Star Tribune

The last section of the longest concourse at Minneapolis-St. Paul
International Airport opened unofficially Thursday.

The completion of the 520-foot section on Concourse C at the Lindbergh
terminal means that travelers using the last aircraft gate on adjoining
Concourse A now could walk as much as eight-tenths of a mile between the
gate and the main shopping area.

Moving sidewalks cover more than half that distance, and electric carts will
carry passengers with mobility problems. By April or May, an automated tram
is expected to carry travelers 2,700 feet alongside the C Concourse.

The new $17.5 million section closes a gap left by demolition of the
airport's former post office. It includes six aircraft gates and opens a
4,200-foot corridor that stretches from the main shopping area of the
Lindbergh terminal nearly to the start of the access road at Hwy. 5.

Buses that formerly shuttled travelers around the gap will stop operating
today.

A ribbon-cutting at 9 a.m. will feature Charles Nichols, chairman of the
Metropolitan Airports Commission, and Joseph Taney, vice president of
Northwest Airlines.

Completion of the $120 million addition, which includes Concourses A and B
and the extended Concourse C, is one of the last major expansions planned
for Lindbergh. Northwest and the commission are talking about adding gates
to the F Concourse, and the commission also wants to expand the terminal's
main shopping area.

http://www.californiaaviation.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID8