"Cost of Logan security measure increases"

Saturday, August 24, 2002

Cost of security measure increases
The Associated Press

BOSTON (AP) - The cost of building 15 new baggage screening areas at Logan
International Airport has risen from an initial estimate of about $100
million to $146 million.

The Massachusetts Port Authority Board, which oversees Logan, met Friday to
approve the budget increase. The board hopes to be reimbursed by the federal
Transportation Security Administration, which took over airport security
after the Sept. 11 attacks.

In June, Logan became the first airport in the country to win approval of a
permanent screening system to scan all baggage. Under a federal law approved
last fall, all airports are required to install such a system by Dec. 31.

Several have complained, however, that the deadline is unrealistic.

Massport approved $106 million for the baggage system in June, based on
conceptual design and cost estimates.

The meeting was necessary, according to Massport, so that the expedited
seven-day-a-week construction schedule could continue.

To cover the cost, Massport may have to delay other construction projects at
the airport, spokeswoman Barbara Platt said.

http://www.californiaaviation.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID8