"Fire Temporarily Closes Newark Airport"

Monday, September 10, 2001

Fire Temporarily Closes Newark Airport

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- Officials shut down flights at Newark International
Airport for 35 minutes Monday because of a fire at a construction site.

The fire was at the new administration building, which is several miles
from the main terminals. No injuries were immediately reported.

Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New
Jersey, said flights were halted because airport firefighting equipment
was used to put out the blaze.

Major delays were not expected because the fire happened at about 1 p.m.
and midday schedules are generally light, Coleman said.

The cause of the fire was under investigation.

http://www.californiaaviation.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID8