Airport News, "Lunken lift-off: Air show helps maintain Cincinnati landmark"

Friday, August 27, 1999

Lunken lift-off
Air show helps maintain landmark
By Connie Yeager, Cincinnati Post staff reporter

Aviation history is on the wing this weekend at Lunken Airport.

Lunken, the only airport located within Cincinnati's city limits, will host
its second annual IGA Lunken Air Show Saturday and Sunday.

The show will feature both vintage war planes and active military aircraft -
from a B-17, one of the legendary ''Flying Fortresses,'' to an A-10
''Warthog'' attack team demonstration.

Lunken Airport, which opened after World War I as a barnstorming facility
and was Cincinnati's main commercial airport from 1930 to 1947, is the
perfect setting for a vintage show. The Art Deco terminal features two
murals by Harry Gothard, who was chief conservationist for the Cincinnati
Art Museum.

The airport was the site of yearly air shows in the 1960s and '70s, air show
spokesman Marc Louis said, that were sponsored by General Electric, in part
as a showcase for their engines.

''We brought the air shows back as a means of support,'' Louis explained.
''We're a city-run facility, but we get no money from the city for our
capital budget. We're a non-profit organization, and the (air show) money
goes right back into the airport.

''One of our priorities (for air show proceeds) is the preservation of the
murals and the terminal.''

The weekend gets off the ground tonight with a '40s-style Ramp Party and
Swing Dance, 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. on one of the airport's turn-around runway
ramps. The $20 admission for the party includes admission to the daytime
show either Saturday or Sunday.

Lunken Air Show
When: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday with flying demonstrations 11
a.m. to 3 p.m. both days.

Where: Lunken Airport, 262 Wilmer Road.

Tickets: Advance tickets, $5 adults, $3 children, are available at
Ticketmaster (562-4949, with service charge) and at Lunken Airport Terminal.
Tickets at the gate are $10 adults, $5 children; bring a canned good for the
FreeStore/FoodBank and receive $1 off adult gate admission. Airplane and
helicopter rides will be offered at an additional cost. Information:
321-4291.

California Aviation Coalition: Airport News List E-mail Commands
To subscribe to the Airport News List, send an email, from the email account you wish to receive your posts on, addressed to listserv@californiaaviation.org and place the following in the first line of the body of the message:
 Subscribe airport YourFirstName YourLastName YourJobTitle YourAirport/Company

 Unsubscribe airport YourFirstName YourLastName